Screen Careers: Location Manager
The location in which a film is set has a huge impact on its look, feel and story. It’s the job of location managers to find that place in the physical world and make sure it’s accessible, safe and not too expensive to hire.
Paul Bach Davies
Credits: The A-List, Keeping Faith, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Hinterland
- 1982-83 - A stage manager training scheme at Theatr Felinfach in Ceredigion.
- 1983 - 1991 - Freelance touring stage manager on various theatr productions throughout Wales.
- 1991 -1992 - Assisstant Floor manager at ITV Wales, working on mainly studio and location drama.
- 1993 -1995 - Freelance runner/ 3rd assisstant director on various dramas for S4C/BBC Wales
- 1995 - Location manager on a drama series for S4C called Pris y Farchnad (this was really the case of being thrown in the deep end)
- 1995 -2020 - Supervising location manager and location manager on all sorts of drama/films/commercials for most networks.
Career Future Goals
- My main goal is to find individuals who are keen to make a career in location managment and to do it properly.
- Caring, nurturing and pointing fantastic individuals in the right direction who have now made a name for themselves in the film and TV industry. Last count was 14.
- As for a specific project, Gwyll/Hinterland has to be the most satisfying location drama that I've done.